Then He said to me, “Son of man, have you seen what the elders of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the room of his idols? For they say, ‘The Lord does not see us…’” (Ezekiel 8:12)
God knows what goes on in the dark.
This can be an alarming or comforting thought—depending on what is taking place.
I had an early curfew in high school. My dad said, “Son, nothing good happens after 10:00 pm.” As I reach my dad’s age when he said that, I increasingly see the truth in his wisdom. Judas betrayed Jesus when it was night. Nicodemus visited Jesus after dark.
A strange human phenomenon is to believe darkness covers our thoughts and actions.
Current Day Darkness
Many under-cover-of-darkness activities dominate today’s news:
- Rampant, widespread government corruption
- Robberies, murders, sexual assaults
- Secret negotiations and conspiracies
- Immoral liaisons and illicit affairs
- Sleazy hotels and places of addictions
- Perverse imaginations gyrating in the shadows
- Tear-stained pillows and sleepless tossing
- Fear, guilt, and shame gripping imprisoned minds
God’s Cover of Darkness
In spite of the world’s wickedness, God tells us the dark can also be a place of peace and rest.
- “I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety” (Psalm 4:8)
- “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet” (Proverbs 3:24)
- “God knows the secrets of the heart” (Psalm 44:21)
- “Even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day.” (Psalm 139:12)
God sees and knows about everything—what happens during the day and night. Knowing this brings both conviction and comfort. Obviously, if my deeds are evil, I stand convicted before the holy and pure God. Only genuine repentance, coupled with His mercy, love, grace, and forgiveness, removes the fear, guilt, and condemnation.
However, it is deeply comforting to know God also sees scared people, broken hearts, dashed hopes, disillusioned dreams, lonely souls, and hot tears during the night. He is ever present, watching over us. As the God of all comfort, He sees and heals our broken hearts. He lovingly collects our hot tears of sorrow and regret. And at day’s end, He brings sweet, restful sleep.
Darkness. It presents yet another freewill choice. We can use it as a cover for misdeeds or a comfort for peace and rest.
Thank God He sees what happens in the dark.